Skip to main content

Blog Journal #5

    Twitter was the one social media that I never got involved in, along with Facebook. I have accounts on both platforms; however, I just don't engage on them. I have been using Twitter a bit more since this class has required us to download it and engage with it again, and there is a lot of good information on all sorts of topics. There is political news information, non-important news such as celebrity drama, and so much more. I've found that this is what Twitter is really for, and I find it interesting that other platforms such as Snapchat have shifted over into that as well. Snapchat used to only be for friend engagement, but now there is a whole section devoted to just news and widespread engagement. I believe Twitter will be helpful in my future career because there is so much advice and tips you can find from people in your field.

    The digital divide is the gap between students who have access to the internet and electronics and the children who struggle for that access. Having technology available can positively influence a child's success in school. A child who does not have access may be more behind than a child who does because they would have a headstart on internet smarts and updated technology software - just a few more things they wouldn't have to learn in the work world. Some causes of this divide are economical and social status. Higher-income areas have higher tax brackets, allowing more money to be put into the schools in that area. Low-income neighborhoods have less money available to put into schools resulting in what could be the digital gap. As a teacher, I will make sure that the head of the school understands the importance of technology-incorporated education. Technology has advanced very quickly and is still causing many changes, and educators need to keep up with the speed of change to help kids with their best future in mind. 

    In my future classroom, I would like to implement Quizlet and Prezi. Quizlet can be used for many different tasks. The main task I would use it for would be making flashcards for various topics. The students create their flashcards through their accounts, and once they are made, you can play games with them instead of just looking at them. I've always found that active engagement, like memory games, wakes you up more and allows you to focus better, remembering the things you have studied more effectively. The second software I would use in my classroom is called Pixton. Through Pixton, students can create their comic or storybook, being able to edit pretty much everything about the way the characters look, the background, and the layout and details of the text. It is an engaging way for students to creatively develop their own story or explanation for a story/book. This is good for students because they can have fun while completing tasks and using their imaginations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #9

     Distance learning has never been my favorite. It has its pros and cons, but overall, I have found that I enjoy in-person classes more. One thing I like about this distance learning class is that all of the assignments are posted on Monday. I can get all my weekly assignments out of the way early, so I don't have to worry about them affecting my downtime or weekend. One thing I dislike about distance learning is it makes it difficult to ask questions and have a connection with the instructor. I came from a very small school, and I had personal relationships with all of my teachers, and taking a class online can easily prevent that from happening. One thing I would do to improve the experience of distance learning is set up meetings with my students - not just office hours but a required meeting at the beginning of the year or semester to just chat and get to know each other, so my students could get a sense that I am a real person willing to help and talk.            OER resour

EME2040 First Blog Post

 Welcome to my first blog post for EME2040!     My name is Chloe Secunda, and I am so excited to be in this class. I am a freshman here at FSU majoring in Elementary Education, and I live in Bryan Hall on campus with my one roommate and two suitemates. I was born in Hawaii but moved to Florida when I was three. I love the beach so much since I basically grew up on it, so being in Tallahassee is a bit difficult for me, but even so, I still love it and all the people I've met so far. My goal after graduation is to be a teacher for third grade at the school I graduated from in Vero Beach. It is a small private Jk-12 school on the river and has the most family feel out of any school I have ever seen. I hope this class will help me be a better teacher in the future.      The high school that I graduated from was very technologically advanced, with Apple TVs and projectors in every room, also requiring MacBooks for every student since almost all of our work was done on the computer. On t